Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Next Big Thing


Hello and welcome to my Next Big Thing Blog Hop.

What is NBTBH? It's a joint effort to help promote new authors as well as myself. Thanks to Jj Keller who tagged me in her post. 

So here we go! 

1: What is the working title of your book(s)?

I've changed it so many times, I can't even remember anymore. I think now it's called "A girl with the dragon's heart" but it seems too long and I'm thinking of ways to shorten it. 

2: Where did the idea come from for the book?

My boys, especially the nine year old, who kept bugging me to write a story about a dragon. And we brainstormed together, he wanted to drag everything and anything but the kitchen sink into it. However, the story progressed from there, minus the kitchen sink, oh wait there's a mention of the kitchen sink when I think about it. Anyhow, there you have it. 

3: What genre does your book come under?

It's definitely a YA story. I'd say for the readers between 8 to 16 years of age, but anyone who enjoys young adult literature will enjoy it. 

4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Oh, I don't know. Not familiar with actors this young. Perhaps I'd better ask that my kids. 

5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

After a mishap at the science fair, two brothers lose their chance of spending the summer in science camp, but when they are whisked off to an island of their ancestors, they discover that grand adventures are not only lived in video games. 

6: Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?

I was thinking about self publishing this one, but now I"m thinking to submit and see. It's too early to say either was. 

7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Well, the rough draft took about two hours during the mandatory yet unpaid staff training. No worries, I did pay attention to what was being said, just took the opportunity to get some work of my own done.. 

8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Maybe "A Dragon's Heart" but not exactly, it's still totally different just has mythical creatures in it. 

9: Who or what inspired you to write this book?

Again, my kids. 

10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

That it takes place here on Earth, on an island in the Adriatic Sea, where beaches and clean waters beacon, forests promise a grand adventure and video games are easily forgotten. 

There you have it and don't forget to visit my friend's Georgia Lyn's blog post where the next big thing continues. 

4 comments:

  1. great blog Zrinka, your premise sounds exciting. Thank god for kids and their wonderful ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's sweet that your children inspired you to write this book. It sounds interesting. Writing during a staff training. I'm going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your new book, Zrinka. Sounds like a lot of fun especially since your kids were a big part of it. That's the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love adventure and especially anything with dragons. Good Luck with the book, Zrinka!!

    ReplyDelete